Weight No More: Get The Skinny On Pet Weight Management
According to the Association For Pet Obesity Prevention, an estimated 52.7% of dogs and 57.9% of cats in the U.S. are classified as clinically overweight. Excess weight can lead to similar health concerns for both pets and people; osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer.
The Pet Experts at Naperville Animal Hospital are here to help. Together we will explore the ins and outs of pet weight management and what you can do to help your pet live a happy, healthy, and long life.
Is My Pet Fat?
Most of us are so used to the sight of overweight pets that we may not even realize our own dog or cat falls into this category. Take a discerning look at your pet to find out if he or she is carrying extra pounds:
- Look at your pet from the side, a healthy animal will have a tucked abdomen, rather than a sagging stomach.
- When viewed from above, an animal at a healthy weight will have a visible “waist”. An overweight pet’s back will appear broad and lacking a defined waist.
- Ribs should be easily felt, but not protruding.
Keeping your pet at a healthy weight can not only add years to his or her life, but it will make those years healthier and more enjoyable for the both of you.
You Hold The Key To Pet Weight Management
The Pet Experts know that weight loss is hard for anyone. Fortunately, with a few simple lifestyle changes, you can get your pet back on track toward a healthy weight in no time!
- Get moving – All creatures need daily exercise to stay fit and healthy. Make it a priority to get your pet up and moving each and every day, whether that is a daily walk, trip to the dog park, game of fetch, or laser pointer session. There are also plenty of opportunities for indoor activities such as obedience classes, agility training, even yoga for dogs (known as “doga”)!
- Limit treats – Break treats into halves or quarters to make them smaller or eliminate them altogether. Cooked, plain vegetables make delicious and healthy alternatives to treats for most pets.
- Offer non-food rewards – Snuggles, praise, and playtime are just a few examples of guilt-free rewards you can offer your pet while training.
Start With Us
Before you start your pet on a weight-loss program, be sure to bring him or her into the office for a wellness exam to rule out any underlying causes for the weight gain, such as thyroid issues or other conditions.
Maintaining a schedule of regular wellness visits is an important component of pet weight management. Your pet is weighed at each visit and you are given the opportunity to discuss concerns and strategies with your veterinarian.
Your pet’s health and happiness are our number one priority here at Naperville Animal Hospital. If you have any questions or concerns regarding pet weight management, don’t hesitate to give The Pet Experts a call!
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
Keep Your Pet Healthy All Year Round!
We offer plans for puppies, kittens, adult dogs & cats. With affordable monthly payments and our convenient hours, it's the best value in helping your pet live a longer & healthier life! Call us at 630.355.5300 for more information!
Meet Our Adoptable Animals!
We are currently fostering some great puppies, dogs and a cat available for adoption! Visit our Featured Foster page HERE to view all animals available for adoption and make an appointment to meet them at our clinic by calling us at 630.355.5300!
New Dog or Puppy? Time For Training!
Training is an important part of any dog's life. From providing mental stimulation to exercise and proper socialization, training will help in the development of a great canine companion. Enrollment is now open for Behavior Training Classes. The cost of a 6-week session is $120. Classes will be held at Springbrook Animal Care Center, 2759 Forgue Dr., Naperville (off Route 59 at 95th). Please call (630)428-0500 to register your pet. For specific training questions only, please email: email@example.com.