Halloween Dangers For Your Pet
Halloween is a holiday full of full and thrills, but not all of them are safe for your pets. Naperville Animal Hospital wants to help you recognize potential Halloween dangers for your pet so you can avoid unnecessary incidents and make some memories that include your furry family members:
Chocolate: A Serious Halloween Danger for Pet
Chocolate is toxic for pets and should not be given to them as a treat or left out in areas where they can easily access it. If you suspect that your pet has ingested some chocolate or some other kind of Halloween candy, please call us immediately.
Artificial Sweeteners Are Not So Sweet
Artificial sweeteners like xylitol can be deadly for your pets. Even if a small amount is ingested, you might be dealing with a pet emergency. Read all food labels carefully, and if you have anything with artificial sweeteners, be sure to keep it far away from your pets.
Wires and Candles
Extra wires and candles that make your home look spooky can create legitimate dangers for your pets. If your pets are prone to chewing, for example, they might shock themselves or ingest some wires. Never leave lit candles unsupervised around animals or they might get burned or cause a fire.
Pet costumes are incredibly cute, but they can be dangerous if they prevent your pet from hearing, seeing, or breathing. Make sure any costume fits properly. If your pet seems scared, you might want to take the costume off. Be sure to supervise your pet while he or she is wearing the costume to avoid any unnecessary incidents.
Be sure to take a picture of your pets in costume!
Trick or Treat…
The constant barrage of children coming to the door for candy can be very stressful for your pets. If you know you are going to have a lot of trick or treaters, you might want to set your pets up in a room with a television or loud fan so they do not feel as anxious. You can even set up a chair outside and hand out candy before anyone can ring the bell.
Halloween decorations have a lot of small parts that might be tempting for your pets, but they could also be dangerous. Hang any tempting decorations far out of reach.
Please don’t hesitate to call us if you think your pet might have gotten into some Halloween trouble.
OUR LOBBY IS OPEN!
Please feel free to walk-in anytime during our open hours!
If you prefer curbside service, please call us at 630-355-5300.
In addition to dogs, cats and pocket pets, did you know we LOVE seeing EXOTIC animals??!!
News & Events
We are an official Toys for Tots donation location!
What you need to know about Kennel Cough
Updates on COVID-19
Sign Up for Pet Records