Hold Your Hounds! Leash Etiquette for your Pooch
We have all experienced it: You are minding your own business, walking your dog quietly when a friendly, over-excited (or not-so-friendly, borderline aggressive) dog pulling an owner at the end of a leash comes barreling into your personal space.
Worst case scenario, your dog is not so thrilled at the sight of the other dog, or the other dog is not as thrilled as its owner perceives and chaos ensues. Best case scenario, one or both dogs, although friendly, develop bad habits regarding interactions with other humans and dogs. Keep the following cardinal rules of leash etiquette in mind when taking your dog in public:
- Not all dogs are friendly. Even if your dog is, be sure to give other pets plenty of “personal” space unless you ask the owner’s permission to approach.
- Not all people like all dogs. Another dog walker may be terrified of your dog. Don’t allow your pet to jump on or rush at others.
- Consider ditching the flexi-lead. While it’s convenient to let your dog roam, it is impossible to maintain control of your pet while on a flexi-lead. They are also much less sturdy and more likely to break in times of need.
- If you do use a flexi-lead, keep it locked at 6 feet when other people or dogs are around.
- Train your pup! Exuberant, friendly dogs and cautious, fearful dogs alike benefit from training sessions.
Contact us if you’d like some recommendations for local trainers.
Planning Your Visit
During our open hours, please call us at 630-355-5300 from the parking lot. You and your pet will both be able to come into the clinic when it is your turn. Please be patient with the busy phones, and there may be a wait, but you will be seen.
News & Events
Dental Health Month
Sign Up for Pet Records
Frontline Worker Boarding & Daycare Promotion
Hill's to Home Delivery
Don't want to leave the house for your pet's food? Now you don't have to. Use our Hill's to Home delivery service for free shipping with no minimum threshold.
Want your Hill's pet food delivered right to your door? Get 30% off your first autoship order and free shipping with Hill's to Home.