Adopt-A-Dog Month: Benefits of Dog Adoption
Each October the American Humane Society celebrates annual Adopt-A-Dog Month. While there are many good reasons to consider adding four legs to your family this fall, the pet experts at Naperville Animal Hospital have a few favorites we would like you to think about:
Dog Adoption Helps Pets
With millions of pets in the United States looking for forever homes, dog adoption plays a key role in providing great and happy lives for these deserving pets.
Considering dog adoption can help:
- Decrease the pet overpopulation problem
- Potentially save a life by removing a pet from the system
- Free resources to help another pet in need
- You to select a dog whose personality will fit best into your home
- Decrease revenue to puppy mills
- Change the life of a special pet
Furthermore, pets up for adoption tend to already be vaccinated and spayed or neutered, potentially saving you some money in the long run.
Dog Adoption Helps People
The human-animal bond is actually a fairly well studied phenomenon, and for most pet lovers it will come as no surprise that pet ownership has some pretty convincing benefits.
Several scientific studies have shown that having animals in your life can:
- Decrease blood pressure
- Reduce anxiety and stress
- Create a sense of well being
- Decrease rates of depression
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Help promote social and cognitive development in children
- Decrease the risk of development of allergies
- Provide mental support during things like cancer treatment
- Improve overall quality of life
What is not to like? You can help a pet who needs you, and in return they will offer unequivocal love and companionship. There is nothing quite like knowing the unconditional admiration of a dog.
Bringing a new pet into your home is a special feeling that really can’t be matched. We hope that you will consider dog adoption this autumn and reap the mutual benefits of caring for a pet in need.
Of course, while Adopt-A-Dog Month is celebrated in October, there is never a wrong time to bring a rescue pet into your home. Whenever the time is right, there is sure to be a perfect pooch eagerly awaiting you.
OUR LOBBY IS OPEN!
Please feel free to walk-in anytime during our open hours!
If you prefer curbside service, please call us at 630-355-5300.
In addition to dogs, cats and pocket pets, did you know we LOVE seeing EXOTIC animals??!!
News & Events
Increased Covid Jan 2022
What you need to know about Kennel Cough
Sign Up for Pet Records