As the heat waves roll in this summer, use the following tips to keep your pets cool and well hydrated:
- Make sure your pet has access to shade and fresh, cool water at all times. Be aware that older or arthritic pets may not be able to easily move into the shade.
- Consider purchasing a children’s wading pool for you and your dog to beat the heat! Keep the water fresh to prevent mosquitoes from breeding and bacteria from flourishing.
- Keep your dog wet- dogs don’t really sweat, so providing a wet coat and a cool breeze from a fan can offer some relief.
- Don’t leave home without water for your pet- dogs lose a lot of water via panting and will need to drink frequently to keep hydrated.
- Never leave your pet in the car, even for a short period of time. Dogs and cats can become rapidly overheated in this situation, resulting in serious illness or even death.